The by –products of petroleum are used in many food products in America. They are used as food coloring, preservative and flavoring agents. Examples are red dye #40 and yellow dye #5.
Most of these products are sold as snacks to children. They put the lives of children in danger.
Petroleum, a yellow colored liquid, is refined from that which is mined from earth and used to make motor oil and gasoline.
Products which have petroleum in them are banned in many countries and America doesn’t seem to be bothered about it.
Serious illnesses can be caused by these artificial flavoring agents. Some of them are:
- Organ damage
- Chromosomal damage
- Birth defects
Around 90% of the dyes found in food are either Yellow 6, Yellow 5 or Red 40. These dyes contain unknown components which can be highly toxic. These dyes have been banned in Britain and Europe since 2009 and 2010, respectively.
These dyes can be used to color fruits like oranges according to the executive director of CSPI, Michael Jacobson.
Yellow 6 dye can cause hypersensitivity in young children. It has been found to cause adrenal tumors in animals.
Yellow 5 has carcinogenic substances in it. It can lead to organ damage.
Red 40 causes allergy and hyperactivity in children. They have been seen to cause immune system tumors in mice as well.
The five major snacks you should avoid are:
- Fruit snacks: Red 3 dye is frequently used in fruit based snacks as a coloring agent. This makes it look more appealing to children. This dye has already been banned in cosmetic products since it is found to cause thyroid tumors.
An example of snacks with this dye is jam-filled serial bars.
- Cheetos: This contains the harmful dye Yellow 6. It has been found to contain other toxic flavoring substances as well. The “Flamin’ Hot” variety has been reported to cause gastritis, abdominal distress and addiction in children.
- M &Ms: these chocolates contain the dyes Blue 2 and Blue 1 apart from red 40, yellow 6 and yellow 5. Blue 2 causes brain and bladder tumors and blue 1 stops nerve cell development.
- Pop Tarts: This has numerous harmful ingredients. These ingredients are found in frosted strawberry, which is the most widely consumed pop tart.
It contains TBHQ. TBHQ is a petroleum based product which can damge DNA and lead to cellular dysfunction.
The first seven ingredients have dextrose, sugar, high fructose corn syrup and corn syrup in it. All these products are known agents of diabetes, addiction and liver problems since they are sugar based.
In lab animals they have been found to cause neurotoxic effects, convulsions, vision loss, tumors and liver enlargement.
The nutritional information has been taken from the Kellog’s website.
- Teddy Grams: They also contain TBHQ. Apart from the above mentioned problems of TBHQ, it also causes stomach cancer, anxiety, vomiting, nausea and delirium.
The next time you buy household products like toothpaste, shampoo, cough syrup, vitamins and detergents, read the labels on them to avoid consumption of toxic dyes.
Also replace your children’s snacks with natural and organic options which are more healthy and nutritious. Fruits and vegetables are more filling and healthy than the above mentioned snacks.
Source: Sport Online Group