Women always worry about their appearances and their personal hygiene. However most of them do not exercise hygienic habits when it comes to their vagina. Many women suffer from yeast infection due to their low hygiene when it comes to their vagina. Yeast infection can be quite embarrassing for women as their vagina tends to have a foul odor; which again bad for their sex life. There are numerous reasons that can cause yeast infection. The good news is that it there some easy remedies for this condition.
It is quite normal for the vagina to be smelly but a strong odor is the indication of a serious health issue; for this you should consult a doctor. Odor in the vagina can give rise to very serious burning sensation, itching and irritation.
Home remedies to fight yeast infection
Here some home remedies that you can adopt to get rid of a smelly vagina.
- Garlic: This is known to be a natural antibiotic which has antimicrobial and antifungal properties. In fact it is considered as a good remedy that treats odor in the vagina.
- Probiotics: Kefir, miso, yogurt, sauerkraut and kimchi are some of the best probiotics that one can use to treat the odor
- Oil with tea tree extract: This is good antiseptic that has antifungal properties which cut out vaginal odor. While using this add some water to dilute it.
- Baking Soda: Add this to the bathwater in your bath tub and stay put for 20 minutes every day; the odor will go away real soon.
- Seeds and nuts: These are a rich source of Vitamin E; which is god for our overall health. Add seeds and nuts to your diet to prevent a smelly vagina.
- Neem Bark: Extracts from a Neem’s bark have antifungal properties and can treat the problem very well.
- Water: Drinking good amount of water definitely helps to keep away health problems and yeast infection is one of them
- Vegetables and fruits: Do not forget to add a healthy dose of vegetables and fruits to your diet as they are loaded with vitamins and minerals that give us good health.
- Sea salt and White vinegar: mix some sea salt and white vinegar in warm water and bath a couple of times in a week. This will bring back your PH level to normal and the awful odor in your vaginal will have disappeared.
- Apple cider: This is famous for its antibacterial and antiseptic properties and this is the perfect solution for combating vaginal odor. Mix this apple cider in water and drink a glassful everyday; you can also mix the cider in your bathing water.
Some additional tips on how to combat smelly vagina
- Do not eat certain foods: You will be surprised to know that there are few foods that can cause a lot of inflammation and promote growth of bacteria as they attach the ph level in the body. Processed foods, alcohol and wheat products are to be avoided at all times. Eat fruits and vegetables instead to combat smelly vagina
- Try losing some extra weight: there is doubt that being overweight can cause too much sweating, which cause the vagina to smell foul. So choose a healthy lifestyle and eat good food and get regular exercise.
- Do not use sprays: Sprays tend to have a lot of harsh chemicals in them, these chemicals get absorbed by the skin.
- Change clothes immediately after changing: Change clothes right after exercising as sweaty clothes tend to breed bacteria.
- Use cotton underwear: Try to wear loose fitting underwear that is made from cotton. Cotton is a skin friendly material; this material will always allow air to flow into the groin area. You must also change underwear in a span of 12 hours.
What causes vaginal odor?
Now let us look at the causes that give rise to the unpleasant odor in the vaginal area.
Eating Habits: There are many foods that can cause odor in the vaginal region; for example the food you ate during dinner could also cause vaginal odor. Asparagus, broccoli, fish, blue cheese, cabbage, pepper, garlic and onions can cause odor in the vagina.
Trichomoniasis: This is a disease that is transmitted through sex. This is very commonly occurring STD and it is non-viral in nature. This causes swelling in the vaginal area and heavy smelly discharge. Women with this condition can experience painful urination and itching in the genitals. Women with this disease can give birth to premature babies. The only way to prevent this is to use condoms during sex. If a woman has this condition she needs to seek immediate treatment.
Bacterial Vaginosis: This is also known as the fishy odor, this occurs when there is excessive bacterial growth in the vaginal area. In this condition the vaginal area can develop quite a stench.
Forgotten tampon: This can cause a great deal of unpleasant itching in the vaginal area followed by a strong odor. If you have been using a tampon for too long then all the menstrual blood that is building up causes bacterial growth in the area. You should see a doctor and have the tampon removed.
Too much sweating and bad hygiene: A sweaty vaginal area can be a source of embarrassment to you as the sweat can cause very unpleasant odor. Wearing synthetic clothes in the hot summer months can cause bacterial growth. Fat people who tend to wear tight fitting clothes tend to perspire more. The more they perspire the more bacterial growth there will be.
Changes in hormonal levels: Scientific studies have shown that during menstruation and ovulation the vaginal area may have a very strong odor which can be unpleasant to an extent. The level of estrogen also drops during menopause and that is when the vagina tens to smell.
You should be very careful when you are adopting any of the home remedies, do not use essential oils if you are expecting to give birth or if you are on medications or if you are breast feeding. You should see a doctor just to make sure that this is not a serious issue that you are dealing with. Sometimes strong vaginal odor can be a sign of cancer in the vagina. All of the home remedies may not work for you so you have to try them out by trial and error method. Yeast infection is a common hing for women there is nothing to be alarmed consulting a doctor for information would certainly be a wise decision.
Source: Family Life Goals