There is no doubt that coconut oil can be very versatile and has a plethora of health benefits. You should know that this oil is divided into two broad categories such as Refined oil and Virgin coconut oil.
Characteristics of Virgin coconut oil:
- This oil is usually non GMO and certifies organic
- This is not refined
- This oil is derived from coconuts that are fresh
- You can heat this oil to a temperature of 350 degrees
- The oil has a strong flavor and scent
Characteristics of refined coconut oil
- This oil is fully organic and its not GMO
- The oil is refined through steam and no chemicals used in the process
- This oil is derived main from dry coconuts
- The oil can be heated to a temperature of 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- The flavor and scent is absolutely natural
What is the manufacturing process for refined and virgin oil respectively
Virgin coconut oil
The coconut meat is extracted from the shell and given a cold press; this is done to take out the oil content. The oil retains pure coconut flavor.
Refined coconut oil
The oil content is very gently extracted from the dried coconuts or otherwise known as copra. The oil is refined using steam, this helps to achieve a nice neutral flavor. You should choose a reliable brand while purchasing this as some companies use strong chemicals to refine the oil.
The various uses of the oil
This oil has many uses from hair care, applying on the body, cooking to baking you can use this in almost everything. You can use refined and virgin oil on a rotational basis; depending on your requirements.
Since refined oil can be heated to a temperature of 400 degrees, this oil is ideal for sautéing, baking and stir frying. This produces a very neutral flavor and is used by people who do not want a strong flavor of the coconut.
So which one should you choose?
The good news is that you can go for both as they are very in nutrition; it is totally up to you to choose depending on your taste. If you prefer the strong flavor or aroma of coconut then you could go for the virgin oil.
What are the factors that you should consider before you go out and buy coconut oil ?
- The oil should not be bleached or deodorized
- There should be no hexane
- Should be cold pressed
- Should be free from GMO
- The oil should be organic
- The refined variety should not have any strong chemicals in it
Coconut oil can be applied on the body to achieve a soft and supple skin. People also use it on their hair to maintain healthy growth and smooth texture.