When we choose foods rich in antioxidants, which are thought that protect against cancer and other diseases, we usually think of exotic fruits and vegetables. But it has been proved that the grains, especially corn, are rich in antioxidants.
Corn is rich in dietary fiber, which lowers cholesterol, folic acid, which protects blood vessels and vitamin B1, which is important for good brain function. While we boil or bake a corn, molecules that protect the body from the damaging effects of free radicals are released. This increases the antioxidant power of corn. Although we can enjoy the corn throughout the year, this one that we eat with the beginning of autumn contain the most nutrients.
BOILED AND BAKED CORN
Most people think that raw vegetables are healthier than cooked, but it does not apply to the corn. During the thermal treatment of corn, boiling or baking, there is a release of molecules with antioxidant activity, which increases its protective powers. Antioxidants are molecules that help the body in defense from harmful free radicals and thus protect against a range of degenerative diseases, such as cataracts, cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease.
These are just some of the reasons why you should eat the corn more often:
- Corn is an excellent prevention against Alzheimer’s disease
- It is effective in the fight against excess weight
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease
- It reduces the absorption of cholesterol in the blood
- Regulates diabetes and hypertension
- Strengthens the bones
- Regulates the process of digestion
- It acts positively on the skin and eyesight
Foto: Charleston Crafted