Diabetes is now a global epidemic causing over a million deaths worldwide every year. The causes of diabetes are varied – from obesity to depression/anxiety anything can lead to increase in blood sugars to an abnormal level. Diabetes can be prevented with a combination of brisk exercise and healthy diet, but what if you are already suffering from diabetes? Which herbs and naturals supplements will help to reduce the blood glucose levels and also help to keep the glucose levels in check? Here we have listed a few of them:
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek has excellent anti-diabetic properties that help them to reduce the sugar levels in the blood. Fenugreek helps to reduce the insulin dependency when taken in regular intervals.
- Garlic: The cholesterol reducing effects of garlic are well known, but few people know about its anti-diabetic properties. Garlic contains the chemical Allicin which causes a reduction in blood glucose, increase secretion and slow the degradation of insulin.
- Chromium: Chromium is used in the metabolism of carbohydrates. It is needed to make glucose tolerance factor, which helps insulin improve its action. High doses can lead to blood sugar levels going too low, so care should be taken while including this in your diet.
- Bitter Gourd: Bitter gourd is traditionally used in Ayurvedic treatment of diabetes. It has profound effect on blood glucose levels if taken on empty stomach every morning. Excessive consumption of gourd juice can lead to hypoglycaemia.
- Vitamin B1 or thiamine: Foods rich in different vitamins are always recommended for diabetics. Chief among the vitamins that help in reducing blood glucose is B1. Many people with diabetes are thiamine deficient and thus a daily dose of B1 is required to keep blood glucose levels in check.
- Magnesium: It is a known fact that magnesium deficiency causes irregular secretion of insulin from the pancreas and increases he insulin resistance of the body tissues. Thus, a healthy dose of magnesium rich foods is a must for people with type-2 diabetes.
- Green Tea: Green Tea is rich in antioxidants and the chief among which is ECGC (epigallocatechin gallate) whose health benefits include better insulin activity and improved glucose control.
Try to incorporate these herbs and supplements in your daily diet to keep diabetes in check.