As much as I enjoy summer BBQs, nothing has me running in faster than being attacked by mosquitoes. However, you can also make pretty luminaries using essential oils rather than chemicals to help keep bugs away. A mason jar with citronella oil isn’t any new thing. This idea will help you ward off insects and make your home a more beautiful place to live in. There are a lot of bugs in Florida and using citronella oil in a mason jar isn’t some “new thing”.
Natural bug repellents
But the good thing is that you do not need to expose yourself to harmful and dangerous chemicals because there are natural methods which can repel insects.
Many studies proved that lemon eucalyptus essential oil is very effective in repelling mosquitoes. Also, citronella essential oil is considered as very useful because of its strong scent.
A study showed that the peel of citrus fruits like tangerines, limes, oranges, lemons, and grapefruits contain substances which can repel mosquitoes and many other insects. These citrus fruits are very effective due to its strong smell and will help you to keep the pests at bay.
Mosquito repellent mason jars
One of the most effective ways of using citrus fruits and essential oils in order to repel mosquitoes is the use of mason jars. We will show you how to make a mosquito repellent mason jar:
- 4 mason jars (or recycle jelly jars)
- 40 drops (each) Cedar wood, lavender, lemon and thieves essential oil (or any other combination you find better, but these oils are believed to be the most efficient when it comes to repelling bugs; you have about 10 drops of each oil for every jar)
- 2 lemons
- 2 limes
- 8 fresh rosemary springs
- floating tea light candles
Now to put them together:
- Place two shoots of rosemary into each jar.
- Fill each jar 3/4 or slightly more with water.
- Add the above mentioned oils and swish them around.
- Place a slice of lemon and lime into each jar.
- Place a floating light candle on top.
Every few days they will become ineffectual in which case you simply create a new repellent.
Source: The Magic Of Healthy Life