Caroline Mowatt’s story is a pretty interesting one. She noticed a blister on her leg which she initially thought was just a bout of ringworm that shouldn’t require much treatment. Shockingly, it turned out that she had been bitten by a little creature known as the poisonous recluse spider.

 

Mowatt decided to see a doctor after her disregard for the early symptoms made matters worse. The blister grew bigger till it ruptured, leaving a horrible wound in her leg. She was placed on a course of antibiotics for two weeks with a requirement that the bandage in her leg is changed every day. At the end of the two-week period, she was in so much pain that another course of stronger antibiotics had to be prescribed alongside morphine to relieve the pain. She was monitored over the next few months but there was no improvement in her condition and surprisingly, the wound in her leg was starting to take a gangrene-like nature.

 

Doctors decided to surgically remove the dead tissue to allow the growth of new tissue. Although the procedure was intensely painful and she had to be physically restrained by a number of people, it marked the beginning of the cure and the end of what had become a harrowing ordeal for Mowatt. She uses her experience to warn people about the dangers of ignoring bodily signs and symptoms no matter how insignificant we might think they are.