Turmeric is mostly used as a cooking ingredient in South Asia. There has been a lot of studies on this plant and most of them suggest that turmeric may help protect against diseases such as Alzheimer’s, stomach ulcers, skin diseases, high cholesterol and a whole lot of other conditions. Indeed, turmeric belongs to the group of popular natural remedies for our overall health.
In addition, Curcumin the active ingredient in Turmeric is equally as effective in providing us with a wide range of health benefits. It eases the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis like inflammation and pain, and it’s been shown to prevent the growth of some tumors like colorectal cancer.
Even though Turmeric is frequently eaten with food and added to enhance flavor, we can consume it in other ways apart from cooking. One of such ways is to make an enjoyable turmeric smoothie. This smoothie contains a lot of other healthy ingredients which combined with the health benefits that turmeric provides, makes it one of the most wholesome recipes for overall health.
- ½ tablespoon of turmeric
- 1 cup coconut milk (High in fiber content and vitamins E, B1, C, B5, B3, and B6)
- ½ cup frozen pineapple or mango (High in vitamin C which gives protection against deficiencies of the immune system and various diseases)
- 1 fresh banana (High in potassium which helps preserve fluid balance. Also keeps the heart, nerves, brain, and muscle function)
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon (Good for lowering the level of blood sugar in diabetics)
- ½ teaspoon ginger (Eases menstrual and arthritis pain, also effective at lessening dizziness and nausea)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds (a good source of protein, calcium, antioxidants, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids)
- 1 teaspoon of maca (Often used for treatment of chronic fatigue, anemia, and to improve energy levels)
- Fresh cracked pepper (this aids the total absorption of turmeric’s healing properties by the nutrients) (this is optional)
Now that you are aware of the numerous health benefits added by these ingredients to our smoothie, watch this video for a detailed set of preparation instructions.
Source: Family Life Goals