Crabs are an enjoyable seafood which many people relish. They are cooked in a variety of different ways, and most of the crab dishes are a treat for taste buds.
Many enjoy picking and eating crabs with family as it the most down-home way to enjoy this tasty type of crustaceans. However, if you plan to go for a restaurant, be rest assured there are several seafood places to eat in Goodyear AZ which serve crabs. In order to enjoy crabs fully, it is crucial that you eat them like an expert. For this, here are a few steps to follow.
Steps to eat a crab perfectly:
- Make necessary preparations – Be clear with one thing, eating a crab is a messy task. So, be ready for it. Now, as far as the preparations are concerned, we recommend you start by laying down newspapers or butcher papers. Next, keep a paring knife, a cutting board, a bowl for shells, a mallet, and some melted butter ready.
- Opening the shell – Place the crab belly up. Now slide a knife under its apron, and pull it backward, this will break it off. Flip over the crab and insert the knife between the shells. Twist the knife to detach the back shell of the crab, and expose the inner cavity.
- Remove the inedible parts – When you will see the inner cavity, you will find the lungs, which are spongy in texture and gray in color. Use either a spoon or your hands to remove it. Next, you will find a yellowish-brown substance known as hepatopancreas. It is an organ that removes the toxins from a crab’s body. You can either eat or discard it. It has a strong taste which is not appreciated by all.
- Break the crab in half – You can do this either with your hands or with a knife. Once the crab is cut into half, you will see how its meat is divided into different chambers.
- Detach the legs – Take one half of the crab in your hand and by twisting its legs a little snap it off. At the backside of the leg, you will find a juicy crab meat.
- Crack it open – If the meat did not come out easily, use the mallet. Well, be extra gentle as you don’t want the shell pieces to mix with the meat. You can try to simply fracture the shell and thereby extract the meat in a single solid piece. Use the same technique to extract the meat from the claw.
So, there you go. If you think all this is just too hard to do, well relax. Once you get a hang of it, all this will be done in just a few minutes.