The armpit is extremely sensitive. It contains a group of blood vessels and nerves. Therefore, mishandling the area can lead to bumps and rashes. Besides infections, not following the right hair removal techniques might also lead to pain and discomfort So it is crucial to know the dos and don’ts of waxing at home.
There is no significant health benefit of a bare underarm. But for the sake of hygiene, it is a good idea to get rid of the unwanted fuzz. There is no impact on color, speed of growth or texture of hair. Plus, it is an affordable alternative to salon treatments. So, to reap maximum benefits, here is a detailed guide on underarm care before and after hair removal.
How to Prepare for Shaving?
The first step is to wash the area with lukewarm water and mild soap. This will soften the hair making it easy to remove. It can also eliminate deodorant and sweat residue which might have accumulated. Further, follow the below steps before you begin to remove body hair.
- For the wax strips or creams to sit properly, exfoliate the area well. It will brush off the dead skin cells and loosen the follicles. Further, this can also lessen the pain, hydrate the area and prevent the growth of in-grown hair.
- Before body hair removal with wax strips or creams, consider trimming. This is especially necessary if you have a dense growth. It can increase the effectiveness of the session and reduce the discomfort. However, do not size them too short because creams cannot pick up excessively small hair.
- If it is your first time, consider applying ice before you remove body hair. It can lessen the potential pain and sooth the sensitive area. In fact, it can also numb your armpits to some extent which will further enhance the experience.
- Wax will not stick to moist or sticky underarms. Therefore, make sure to apply little amounts of powder to dry the area. You can also use a tissue to soak up the natural oil or sweat, if any. The best time to wax is before going to the shower.
- Make sure to stretch you arms upwards to the fullest. Halfway lifts might lead to missing out on the hair in your skin folds. Do cut the strips and use accordingly, if required.
- Lastly, do a patch test of the product you are about to use. This can minimize the chances of irritation or friction.
After Care for Underarm Hair Removal
Body hair removal for women in the armpits does not take more than 20-30 minutes. However, you need to spare some time for the post-care routine. Apply a cooling aloe gel or rub ice cubes to avoid inflammations. Stay away from antiperspirants, swimming and sun-bathing for a day to reduce side effects. Consider wearing loose clothes for some time to prevent chafing. Lastly, make sure to moisturize well to keep the area soft and supple.
If you plan to remove armpit hair, do follow the tips above thoroughly. This can ensure fewer chances of dark skin, cuts and burns. However, if you love your body as it is, that is a great choice too. J